Things I know now, that I wish I knew then......


Joining the Mass Communication department was a difficult transition for me. As a transfer student, I was eager and excited about coming to a new school but didn’t apply to the Mass Communication program right away. I wish I knew the concentrations are two year programs no matter how you slice it. To avoid the same mistake, you should learn early how to plan effectively. Look at the courses listed and see how they line up with your degree plan.

So here are some tips that I think are invaluable:

Make sure you leave room for error, internships, practicum’s, or possibly a Disney Internship. All of these elements can easily put you a semester behind.

If you can take classes over the summer do so; it’s a great way to get ahead. Many classes conflict time wise with each other and this is an excellent way to solve that problem.

Be proactive while degree planning; which goes a lot further than picking up the green concentration planning sheet.

Form a working relationship with your adviser so your not afraid to ask questions. They’re here to help.

I love love love my Public Relations experience and I’m glad I’m progressing with an amazing group of gals and guy ;-), but learn from my mistakes and save yourself a year.

In essence, I’m trying to say, learn the curriculum it will help you in the long run.

0 comments: