Embracing the future and the change it brings.



The article "Job Market Turns Must Worse", shares a dismal decline in the salaries and positions available in the communications field. The statistics show that only 17% of public relations graduates actually took a job in the traditional public relations field. I’m forced to ask myself the question, did I chose a degree in a field that is being phased out? The conclusion that I decided on is no. Being a Communication major with a minor in public relations has without a doubt strengthened my writing, research and time management skills. I honestly can not think of an industry where these traits are not valuable. 17% of PR Grads working in PR should worry other industries, as that leaves 83% qualified competitors in another field.

Most graduates dream of their future and the career path. However through experience I have found that with or without a degree and in or out of a recession, the market will dictate your future career. My favorite doctor has a BA in English and At PR Day this year, I met a history major that worked in IT. I said that to say, I’m staying positive despite what statistics say. My passion is HR and ideally that would be the best position, ideally. But when this graduate leaves college, I will know that I received a degree that changed my work ethic, professional stance and gave me a good running start in the market, even if that start doesn’t lump me with the 17%. Without communication commerce is impossible, which leaves a diverse list of options out there for us pr pros. Besides if its one thing I've learned as an undergrad in PR, it's to always have a plan A and B.

0 comments: